Monday, November 5, 2007

Succumbing

(The plaintive song of a person who tries to improve the world, but gets pulled down into the muck anyway)

And I have a billion dreams with me,
The world I will change, just wait and see.

The blind shall all see, the lame shall all walk
The deaf shall hear, and the maimed shall talk.

The poor will eat to their hearts fill everyday,
And without bitterness their prayers they shall say

Poor children will go to their schools and study,
The malnutioned will become able and sturdy

No home shall be dark, no fireplace shall be cold,
Warmth in every house, body, heart and soul.

No rest for me until I shall do all these,
Saying thus, I set out on the road to my dreams.

But life plays games with me, strange games
My naivete it destroys, humbles and shames

And all the blackness in the world I fight
But its a lonely struggle, and deepens night

No more I can see in front of me, darkness is so
I can't even find my goals within me anymore

And I join the rest of the world, laughing,
At my own misfortunes, and of those surrounding,

Blind to my dreams, that lie still somewhere
In a nook of my soul, but I am oh so unaware

And a billion dreams I had with me,
But the world finally got the better of me.

No comments: