Thursday, August 13, 2009

India!

(The outcome of a homesick first week in the USA)


India!


Out of my window I gaze, at landscapes unseen,

At golden night lights, glitter and sheen,

And ask myself to find fascination in such,

And miss not my people and my past so much,

My heart replies, ‘I wish you had earlier known,

That beauty is useless when enjoyed alone!’


Oh sweet India, how I miss you so!

Where a hundred thousand mud lamps glow,

Land of hearty chaos and maddening melee,

Divine music, and enchanting philosophy,

Pray, become beautiful again, and pull me slowly,

Back to where, I know my heart will always be.


And all things unclean, stagnant and rotten,

About my homeland so easily forgotten,

Leaving behind only whiteness so pure,

Emotion tender to the touch, soft and demure,

And when of her I dream, and her love I remember,

It is as if a little child calls out, longing for its mother.


And a fluttering sanity, about itself is held,

By seams unsteady, and weakening thread.

Homesick the soul and turbulent the mind,

In morose poetry, a fraction of peace I find!

9 comments:

samarth mehta said...

nice ending. don't share the emotions though (you already know), the part easily forgotten will come screaming back when u get off the plane and smell shit and meet rude airport people. Maybe i am being too Harsh....

Unknown said...

You put everything you feel so eaily into words that anyone anywhere in the world can understand how you are feeling. Its a gift...Very Well done..
Keep it up

Bharath said...

Trust Samarth to hit you on the head with a bat and shake you out of your dream.

rucha said...

unbelievable!!!just hats off to you!
keep writing

Kunal Bedia said...

Beautifully written about India and the things associated with INDIA. Keep it up!!

Aravind S said...

even though i am right here in India i can still feel ur sense of longingness after reading ur poem. Keep writing!!

Atul Barapatre said...

Good , but lets see whether u feel the same after 3-4 months or not.
i am sure that when u return to india u will write one for altanta also. hheee

LizFernandes said...

you just put down all that i feel too. its a poem that can console a lonely heart. we always dreamt of it and now when we have it we aren't happy (initially)its truly touching and so true. very nice

Sonia B said...

simple,beautiful,unassuming.